Here are some important things drivers should pay attention to following auto glass replacement to their windshield, windows or sunroof.
Preserve your new auto glass
It’s never a good idea to take your replacement auto glass into a drive through car wash right away. However, rain will not harm your new windshield, window or sunroof. In fact, urethane sealant can actually cure faster due to the moisture.
Auto glass adhesive seals take a while to form. If you hired the Halco mobile auto glass team to come to you and provide their services, you will get a recommended drive-away time.
Avoid future replacement needs
If you drive the same route every day and have had to replace the same auto glass more than once, you may want to alter your commute. You may also want to park somewhere new if you’ve experienced vandalism or routine auto glass damage.
Although there isn’t a proper schedule for interior windshield cleaning, you’ll know when it needs to be done. Newer vehicles tend to need it more frequently and you’ll probably have to do it more often during the hot summer months.
Plasticizers are the main culprit
The culprit when dealing with the inside of a windshield is plasticizers — especially with newer vehicles. Although you don’t normally see them, you know they’re there because they’re responsible for the “new car smell” so many people are fond of.
As they work their way out of the vehicle’s plastic components, like the dashboard, they coat the inside of the windshield with a yellowish plastic-like film that can’t be removed with a simple spray-and-wipe using paper towels.
- Purchase And Use A Glass Scrubber Using your normal window or glass cleaner, give the scrubber a quick spritz to prepare it. Then, select one corner of the windshield to work on, and give it a couple of sprays too.
- Scrub Firmly, But Gently, from Top to Bottom The plasticizer film will be stuck on pretty well, but your scrubber will cut through it.
- Wipe Away Residue with a Microfiber Cloth Once the scrubber has done its magic, the residue should come right up with your microfiber cloth. Give your cloth a couple of squirts of glass cleaner and wipe the window in both directions, to pick up all the gunk.
- Buff the Windshield with a Microfiber Cloth To finish cleaning, wipe away any remaining cleaner or residue using a clean and dry microfiber cloth.
- Use Foam Cleaner for a Streak-Free Shine Both traditional window glass cleaners and foam cleaners have a place and purpose. Use a foam cleaner to remove streaks and get your windshield looking crystal clear.
Removing the yellowish plasticizer residue from the inside of your windshield will help improve your visibility and eliminate distortion while driving — especially at night.
I.C.B.C’s comprehensive coverage includes free windshield repairs when:
- The damage is smaller than a loonie.
- The damage isn’t in the driver’s line of vision.
- The damage isn’t a long crack.
- There isn’t pre-existing damage (such as a long crack).
These are general guidelines. Only an authorized Glass Express facility will be able to determine if it is safe and appropriate to repair — or rather replace your windshield. Visit our HALCO Glass Repair location at 1408 Clark Drive in Vancouver, or call us at 504-239-8648 and ask for a mobile service representative to come to you. We’ll assess and repair the damage on the spot — at your home, or where you work.
Unlike the front windshield, in most instances a broken rear window in your vehicle cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Rear window glass is tempered glass, meanining when it breaks it shatters into pebble-sized glass particles.
Out highly skilled technicians will assess the damage to your rear windshield and walk you through the steps required to make your rear windshield new again.
When it comes to rear windshield replacement, there is no one better and with more experience than the HALCO Glass repair specialists. Visit us in Vancouver on Clark Drive or call us for our outbound mobile glass repair service at 604-239-8648.
The management and staff of Halco Glass wish everyone a safe and joyous Holiday Season!
Halco Glass is proud to support the BC Cancer Society’s Drive Pink Campaign for breast cancer research. Attached is a photo taken at the Jean C Barber Lodge (lodging for out of town patients who are receiving treatment in Vancouver) during a recent tour of their facilities.
It’s never a good idea to take your new replacement auto glass into a drive through car wash right away. However, rain will not harm your new windshield, window or sunroof. In fact, urethane sealant can actually cure faster due to the moisture.
Auto glass adhesive seals take time to form an air-tight bond. The HALCO Auto Glass team will give you a recommended drive-away time.
Driving before the recommended time can cause leaks around your new window, windshield or sunroof. Following any auto glass repair, it’s best to wait a few days before re-applying your window decals or stickers.
Accidents, vandalism and daily use can damage your vehicle’s side mirrors. Many of today’s premium automobiles like BMW, Lexus and Mini have high-tech mirrors which can be finiky to fix and replace. If you need a new side mirror or if you have any cracked or broken glass issues, call the Factory Authorized glass repair specialists at Halco Glass – and get the job done right – the first time.
Tips to avoid mirror damage:
- Be carefully while parking and pay attention to vehicles around you
- Park in safe, well lit areas
- Clean your mirrors gently
Call us today. We’ll come direct to your home or office with our expert mobile glass repair service, and get you moving safely–fast!
Fall and winter weather is right around the corner. Here are a few of the ways you can protect your auto glass. However, each of these tips can go a long way in preventing damage to your windshield during winter.
- Inspect your windshield for chips or cracks
Chips and cracks should be professionally repaired immediately.
- Have your windshield professionally treated with a rain repellent
This will help your visibility stay high, no matter how heavy the rain or snow might get.
- Install newer, stronger wiper blades
This simple step may go a long way in helping you avoid low visibility during downpours.
- Use an antifrost or defogging product
If you are not familiar with how to apply these products, ask our auto glass professionals for help. Call us at 604-239-8648 today.
Driving with a shattered windshield, a smashed rear window or broken side view mirrors is not safe.
Driving with any of these types of damage greatly increase the risk of a collision. You may even get a traffic citation for driving in such unsafe conditions.
It is much smarter to pull over and call our HALCO Mobile Glass Repair Service at 604-239-8648 — and we’ll come to you!
The price you would pay for auto glass repair or auto glass replacement at the shop is what you will pay if we come to you. We’ll give you an estimate on the fly. You won’t be surprised with hidden costs when it comes to Halco’s mobile auto glass repair.