5 ways to protect kids on Halloween
Help protect trick-or-treaters by following these driving safety tips on Halloween. Be especially careful between 4 and 8 p.m., when most severe vehicle/young pedestrian accidents happen.
- Have a clear view. Make sure your windshield is wiped clean, both inside and out.
- Drive slowly, and don’t pass stopped vehicles. The driver might be dropping off children.
- Park your mobile phone. Avoid distractions by waiting until you’ve stopped to call, text, or surf.
- Watch for children darting into the street. Kids can cross the street anywhere, especially around Halloween.
- Communicate with other drivers. Always use your turn signals and your hazard lights when dropping off or picking up kids.